BRAIN-AF Study Website
How We Use Information tell me more
We use Personal Information we collect to:
- contact you and refer you to a Study site
- analyze the use of and improve the Website
- comply with applicable laws and our policies
WEBSITE INTENDED USERS
The Website ACCESS is intended for use only BY persons who are located in CANADA and who reached the age of majority in such jurisdictions. the website is not intended and shall not be used by children and other users, and we do not knowingly process information about children and such other users.
2. DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATION
- Cookies designates the small text files that are placed on devices when using/accessing the Website.
- Personal Information means any information about an identifiable individual, such as your name and contact information (e-mail and phone number) and Internet Protocol address.
- Study refers to the Study entitled “Blinded Randomized Trial of Anticoagulation to Prevent Ischemic Stroke and Neurocognitive Impairment in AF” commonly referred to as the BRAIN-AF Study.
- we (or similar words) designates the Montreal Heart Institute, a corporation duly constituted under Part III of the Companies Act, CQLR c C-38 and located at 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal (Quebec) H1T 1C8 CANADA.
- Website means the website available at https://brain-af.ca/ or any other URL, as may be applicable from time to time.
- you means any individual located in a Canadian province or territory where the Study is conducted, who has reached the age of majority in such jurisdiction and who either wish to be part of the Study /or to navigate on the Website to learn more about the Study.
2.2 Interpretation. Unless the context requires otherwise: (i) grammatical variations of any term defined herein have a similar meaning; and (ii) words importing the singular number shall include the plural and words importing the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neutral genders and vice versa.
3. COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
3.1 Information obtained directly from you
3.1.1 Voluntary communication by you to participate in the Study
The Website provides initial information about the Study that we are sponsoring and for which we are looking for participants. In this regard, the main feature of the Website is its e-mail feature allowing you to send us an e-mail request to be re-contacted by one of our Study staff to be referred to a Study site, should you be interested in taking part of the Study. In such a case, you will be required to disclose only that information (namely, your name, phone number and e-mail) required for such staff to re-contact you. You may provide additional information (such as any message), which facultative information will be reviewed as well by our staff if provided. Your coordinates (and other information, if any) will only be used for that purpose.
Such staff will then re-contact you by phone or by e-mail. During that conversation, such staff will provide you with additional information about the Study, and will refer you to the nearest Study site where your eligibility to be part of this Study will be confirmed, you could be enrolled by applicable site, etc. In this regard, some additional Personal Information may be collected about you during that call with your consent. The Personal Information verbally disclosed during that call will only be processed by us and applicable Study site for the purposes mentioned above.
3.1.2 Comments and requests for information
3.1.3 Social media
3.2 Information collected using Cookies and similar technologies
When you use the Website, certain information, including Personal Information (such as general browser information, Internet Protocol addresses, the interactions with the Website and any other information described below) may be collected by automated means, such as through the following types of Cookies:
- Process Cookies: allow the Website to work properly ensuring the integrity of web pages and allowing you to browse from one page to the other;
- Preference Cookies: allow our Website to remember information that changes the way it behaves or looks;
- Statistical Cookies: collect data, such as the date and time when the Website were last used and the frequency of such uses, the pages or content consulted and the manner the Website was used, the information provided and the features of their operating systems and connection information (e.g. Internet Protocol address). This information is collected for analytical and statistical purposes, such as for the purposes set forth in point 3.3 below.
Other forms of technologies can also be used for similar purposes.
Cookies and other forms of technologies can be blocked. Anyone experiencing problems with the functionalities of the Website should contact us. You can click here to block Google Analytics Cookies and other forms of technologies. Likewise, some web browsers may be configured to send ‘Do Not Track’ signals to the websites that you visit. While there is no consensus among industry participants as to what ‘Do Not Track’ means in this context, the Website – like many websites – does not alter practices when a ‘Do Not Track’ signal is received from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about ‘Do Not Track’, please click visit here.
3.3 Information obtained from Google Analytics
Google Analytics can collect data about the interactions with the Website. Such information will then be processed and be updated every time you (or any person) interact with the Website, which will allow Google Analytics to see which information was consulted, the browser used, device and operating device. The statistical and other aggregated information so collected may be shared (in whole or in part) with us in order for us: (i) to update, upgrade or otherwise improve the Website, or to develop new features; and (ii) to help us to know how many users we have, which parts of our Website are most popular, what browsers are used, the country or region where our users are located, and the demographics and interests of our users (so we can maximize compatibility). This enables us to better understand who is using our Website and to improve it. Google Analytics cookies may retain information for up to two years. For more information about Google Analytics services, please click here.
- Securing data: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTPS) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) technologies are used, which can be confirmed by looking (i) at the address bar which will, depending on the browser, have a lock to the left of the website address (URL); and (ii) at the URL or the address bar of the browser, where the first characters of the address in that line should change from “http” to “https”.
- Limited access: Access to any Personal Information is granted only to our Study staff and/or applicable Study sites on a “need-to-know” basis.
- Secured datacenters: The Website is hosted by Wordpress (via LIKUID), which states that its web hosting services are secure, reliable and compliant with the applicable standards, as further detailed and confirmed here.
5.2 LIMITATION. DESPITE THE FOREGOING, ANY ELECTRONIC PLATFORMS AND SERVERS – AS WITH ANY OTHER FORM OF FILE – IS NOT INFALLIBLE AND FULLY SHELTERED FROM UNFORESEEABLE OR FORCE MAJEURE EVENTS, CYBERATTACKS OR UNAUTHORIZED USES AND ACCESS. ANYONE SHALL BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A RISK IN TRANSMITTING ANY DATA ELECTRONICALLY, WHICH IS INHERENT IN ALL ELECTRONIC DEALINGS, AS WELL AS TO ALL OTHER FORMS OF COMMUNICATIONS. CONSEQUENTLY, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT INFORMATION WILL NEVER BE INTERCEPTED OR VIEWED OR SUBJECT TO OTHER INCIDENTS. SUCH EVENTS MAY OCCUR, PURSUANT TO WHICH DEVICES OR SYSTEMS CAN BE ACCESSED OR CONTROLLED BY UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS, AND UNDESIRABLE COMMUNICATIONS AND INVITATIONS MAY BE RECEIVED. SHOULD YOU OR ANY PERSON RECEIVE A COMMUNICATION THAT LOOKS LIKE IT IS FROM US ASKING FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION, YOU (OR SUCH PERSON) SHALL AVOID RESPONDING TO SUCH COMMUNICATIONS. WE WILL NEVER REQUEST FINANCIAL AND OTHER SENSITIVE INFORMATION THAT WAY. IF ANYONE HAS CONCERNS ABOUT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION, OR HAVE COMMUNICATED PERSONAL INFORMATION IN RESPONSE TO A SUSPICIOUS E-MAIL, POP-UP OR PHONY WEBSITE CLAIMING TO BE AFFILIATED WITH US OR IF ANY OF THE FOREGOING EVENTS TAKES PLACE, PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY. YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERFECT SECURITY.
6. STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
7. RIGHT OF ACCESSING AND OTHER RIGHTS
In accordance with applicable laws, you may make requests for access or rectification, or prevail yourself of any other right under applicable laws, with respect to the Personal Information collected and stored by (or via) the Website as set forth above by contacting us. We will not discriminate against you for making any request of access or otherwise exercising any of your rights under applicable laws. Please note that we may be required or permitted by law to not delete (or allow deletion) of Personal Information. We will respond to all legitimate requests within the period of time set forth under applicable laws.
8. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
9. CONTACTING US
9.1 Questions, comments and requests
Requests and demands made will be dealt with as soon as possible.